Friday, September 27, 2013

Make Your Own Sea Glass



make your own sea glass. Glass in jar with sand and shake.

This pin is one of those special ones that goes right to the original source of the picture (yay!), but which then has a very misleading comment on the pin.  In this case, the poor flickr photographer resorted to putting up a comment on her picture:

"Update: Hello to anyone looking in from Pinterest - sorry to disappoint you but my photo has been linked wrong - this is not where you find out how to make it, this is REAL seaglass I found myself as I am lucky to live near a beach where it washed ashore. If you wish to make it - look elsewhere, as I don't have the instructions all I can imagine as it is very labour intensive to do it. Thanks for liking my picture though :-) lisaluvz"

I feel sorry for Lisaluvz.  Someone linked to her picture, put on that bit about making it yourself, and then Lisa got to deal with the fallout of not living up to those other pinners' expectations.  

Real sea glass is the result of both a chemical and a physical process - yes, the particulates in seawater rub against the glass, causing tiny scrapes that help "frost" the glass and take away its glossiness, but there is also a chemical component (like frosted glass).  

You might be able to approximate sea glass with a rock tumbler, but I'm not sure how well it would work.  Or you could just try mixing Elmer's Glue with food coloring and see how that works out for you (that should probably be its own post!).

No comments:

Post a Comment